Wednesday, November 03, 2004

the subolites

right now, the subolites are in baguio for the org outing and sem planning. it's an all expense paid trip according to the text i received yesterday afternoon, with limited slots only. however, as much as i wanted to as i know i will enjoy it and that i'll be able savor the cool baguio air one last time, and maybe pick up some genuine lengua or two (the last time we bought there, they sucked! whatever happened to the lengua? don't buy any good samaritan product. it's really awful. but i would gladly recommend the ube at tantamco's foods --> i'm not really sure 'bout the name but it sounds close and you'll find their stall coz' it really stands out in the market) before plunging into the abyss of more chemicals and molecular bonding theories and other analyses for another sem in my pretty life. pretty? not quite. more like uneventful. anyway, i hope the guys are enjoying right now. and i wonder what they've planned for the sem. i've never been to any sem planning event yet. but i'm all ears at the next GA. yeah, now i'm gonna be able to attend our GAs. i wanna post the article i made for the Silew, our official newsletter which was given out to the highschool participants of our recently concluded Padunungan 2004 held last NOvember 28-29. i dunno, just for a little self-gratification. heeehee...

***



Becoming a Subolite

After a grueling sem, one thing that makes me feel happy is the fact that I’m now a member of the UP Subol Society. Yes, I just applied the past semester and after all that I’ve been through, I finally attained membership status after undergoing the final rites last October 23.

Just like every organization, an orientation is held so that the person will have an idea about what the organization he wants to apply to is all about. However, I wasn’t able to attend the orientation of UP Subol, and after asking a friend who attended the orientation the things that were discussed, I contacted one of the officers and asked if I could still apply. She said I could and after one of my Geog1 classes, I went to the tambayan to sign my application form, be briefed about the application process and get my copy of the sigsheet. There, I officially became an applicant.

It’s not this year that is the first time that I’ve heard of this organization. In fact, when I was in my third year and fourth year in high school, I participated in the group category of the quiz show they hold during their sembreak. I also learned that some of the alumni from my high school are members of the org. And since I had a cousin studying in UP, my mom and I were speculating when she would join this org.

Then I myself got admitted to the University of the Philippines Diliman. During my first year, joining a provincial organization was not in the list of the things that I wanted to do at that time. My mind was focused on other things. It didn’t even occur to me that I would ever be involved in one, what with my academic load and all other things in between. Yes, I did hear about it every now and then. During my second sem, I had a Chemistry professor who was an alumna of UP Subol and classmates who’re either applicants or members. I wasn’t really expecting this. Then come my second year and I was hurled into a wild ride I was glad I undertook.

Since I already had experience in applying to an organization, I wasn’t really willing to go through the mandatory stuff that applicants do like having the members sign your sigsheet, completing your tambayhours at the org’s tambayanand other stuffs asides. And with the many activities I had to make time for, I wasn’t even sure I could devote enough for my application in UP Subol.

Subolite. That’s what you call a member of the UP Subol Society. My first impression of Subolites is that they’re warm and friendly. I don’t really remember everything that happened when I made my first tambay or who were there at that time. All I remember is that I left the tambayan feeling at home. It’s like I was one of them already. I thought about it afterwards and I reasoned that it was probably because it’s the second org that I’m applying to; or it’s because the members are all friendly and easygoing – just laughing and cracking jokes; or it’s because of the bond that I feel with them because we all come from Pangasinan. But whatever it was, it was a good feeling. And you can’t just shrug off anything that makes you feel good.

Because of my weird schedule, I haven’t been able to make regular appearances at the tambayan unlike my other batchmates. I also hadn’t had a chance to get to know all of my batchmates. I didn’t even know all the original members of the batch nor was I present when my batchmates elected our batch head. And I did miss a lot of GAs.

I could say I met most of my batchmates during the tambayan jazz-up since there were many applicants that day. That was the activity for that day and we were at the receiving end of the wrath of Mr. President, or so they said. Well, some of us cleaned the surrounding area, some redecorated the bulletin board and the others painted the table and chairs marine blue (the color of the paint). The messages and doodles written on the table were finally covered though I think it would have been fun if we could still write on it. Anyway, they’re blue now and blue is the official color of the org.

So with that gathering, I was able to learn stuffs about the rest of my batchmates. I also got the members present to sign my sigsheet which is easily not one of the most creative ones around given my lack of artistic abilities. I was also given a view of the personalities of the members whom I only saw that day.
After the jazz-up, my buddy and I went out for our day-out along with two other members. Being treated to food and learning different things about my buddy, that day was really, really, really okay. I must say this activity of the member and his/her buddy-applicant going out for a day is a really good bonding session and an effective tool for the applicant to feel closer to the org.

A few more tambays and I was beginning to feel quite at home with my co-apps. Now the next thing lined up in our calendars was the talents’ night. This was a difficult task since our schedules wouldn’t allow us to meet for practices. What we were going to do was already planned out and we had scheduled plenty of practices but not everyone would be able to make it. We were having problems about that, especially with the nature of our presentation. Eventually, the night came. We were laughing so much before our presentation started that I was fearing things wouldn’t go well. Well, that didn’t come true for I believe we all left the venue quite satisfied, and if anything, happier than during the rest of the day now that we’ve accomplished it. And what’s more, this time we have been able to really bond as a batch.

The second to the last hurdle before becoming a member is the formal interview. Beforehand, we had to review the constitution and the history of the org. If you must know, that was one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life because not only do I have to wear something which I’m not used to wearing, I’m also grilled by the members and it’s no simple Q&A, plus they also made me do various things that I’ve never done before (given that I’m a really shy person). Those have been really long and draining three and a half hours. But I can tell you that was another learning experience not only about the org (there’s always a reason behind everything that the panel asked or did) but also of myself. You’ll be amazed at what you can do under very close scrutiny, and that’s also within sight and earshot of many other people. It also made me realize things that I didn’t take much thought before.

At the final rites last Saturday, Mr. Marjohn Sante, a former UPSS Diliman president, told us that one’s love for the org is not entirely proven by making tambay or being present during the org activities. Pure love is when you feel it in your heart of hearts, so to speak. I know the members really love this org because what they do is driven by their love for the org. Devoting time to the affairs of the org and making sacrifices are not for one-night-stands only, if I may use that comparison. That’s why I’ve come to love this org and the people behind it.

So what makes a Subolite? Apart from being a Pangasinense, it’s the love for the UP Subol Society and its ideals, supported by the camaraderie built from the diverse experiences of the members together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi..so u mean, u personally know Marjohn Sante? Any news about him?