Friday, August 20, 2010

Yeah! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I'm having a blast listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They've been around for a decade and it's only now that I discover them. WTF right? I have so missed a lot. They're amazing! Well, at least I've just been playing Fever to Tell (2003) and Show Your Bones (2006) on repeat, so I've no idea about the more recent albums. But with their talent, imagine them only a trio producing such an interesting array of sound, I'm almost sure those are going to be amazing as well. I love Karen O's energy when she's performing and the immensely interesting personality hiding behind the sort of clothes she wears and the sometimes unreadable or bland expressions on her face. (And I love how Nick looks too *grin*)


singing Pins at te Reading Festival in 2006




I can't describe everything about her style, being fashion jargon-illiterate, but you see how talented she is. She can be overly loud and then simple next time. In the third pic, she's wearing that see through plastic(?) over a blue skirt with matching blue stockings in their video for Zero. Nick just does amazing things with his guitar. And Brian's there supporting the great blend of her Pat Benatar-reminiscent voice and Nick's amazing concoctions  of rhythm, punk/dance beats and those amazing (sorry, can't think of other adjectives right now) wailing guitar riffs that work just right. I haven't gone into the lyrics yet but I will soon enough.

Let's backtrack just a bit. Let's go into how I got addicted to them, my second addiction since LJ this month (see previous post). Okay, so I thought I'd listen to them one day knowing that Maps has been one of their more popular songs (and they're not pop so I'd know there's substance to this band). I didn't know it's been seven years since the song was released. So I get a hold of the band's discography. And I listen. And I like what I'm listening. And then I'm talking about it to a friend, and he raved about how powerful Karen O's emotions were in the song's video. And so I track it down (thank goodness for youtube - no thanks to the content-blocking capitalist companies). And I'm blown away. And so here I am ten days later, a devoted fan. And what made me love them more is the following performance at the Reading Festival in 2006 (I wish we had things like those here, but tough luck kid!). Karen is amazing and energetic as usual, and she just seemed to enjoy performing a lot. And her voice has such that wide range; I didn't think anybody would be doing that kind of wailing she did at Gold Lion. And even if I love the original Maps, the emotion-filled acoustic version is still amazing. Hay... So am I winning you over now? Watch.

1 comment:

Richard said...

the third album's nice too, though they're moving towards a different sound. dirty disco is more like it.

maps is a college anthem. but i dig show your bones better. gold lion's gonna tell me where the light is!