Tuesday, September 22, 2009

my BIG world

Ten years ago, my world was just starting to expand. 


The internet was just something I've been reading about in Young Star (the Friday youth section of the Philippine Star). From what I've gleaned, I knew immediately that I would like to be a part of that world. I'd want nothing more than to take advantage of this new tool to learn more not just about my immediate surroundings, but also a lot of different things from around the world. Learning about HTML (enrolled in a course the  summer before high school) also opened my eyes to the fact that one cannot only get information from the internet, you can also contribute to it. TechTV was then also available  to me and it introduced to me the different uses of  the internet. 


Thus began a life of reading fanfics and fiction made by unpublished but talented writers, downloading images of anime/movies/actors/musicians, blogging, watching J- or K-dramas once in a while, buying books through websites/online auctions (the first book I bought was Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides whose original owner was selling it through avalon.ph), discovering different kinds of music, and learning about writing, designing, photography and a myriad of other stuff. 


Thus is the life mentioned a never-ending search for information of different sorts and purposes.  Knowledge is power. And with a wealth of information at my fingertips, my world is so much bigger, my actions affecting not only the people I interact with physically; on the internet, an action, a reply, a message may be ignored by most people but there will be a few who will take time to read, dissect and criticize. Thus are actions jumpstarted, reactions generated, worlds changed.


+++

I didn't intend to end this entry way. This was supposed to be a post reminiscing about 10 years ago. But this is how it ended up. So what's with the post?


Well, avalon.ph is sponsoring a contest where you can win Neil Gaiman's Adventures in the Dream Trade. So there you go, if you haven't joined yet, don't waste any more time. The contest ends tonight at 11:59 pm. 


Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite storytellers, and I want to have everything by him to be able to reread them anytime. I still can't forget the impression I got when I first read Preludes and Nocturnes, my first time to read his work. Totally mind-blowing, something I'd treasure for a lifetime.

No comments: